There is a scholarship (or many scholarships) out there for everyone. Every student has some skill, interest, experience, or characteristic that may make them an attractive candidate for one scholarship or another. And while we often refer to scholarships as “free money,” scholarships don’t actually come for free. It takes work to thoughtfully consider your strengths and research the scholarships that might be most appropriate for you. While the effort that goes into finding and winning scholarships may be akin to a part-time job, we at College Coach want to make your job a little easier. This on-going scholarship series highlights a new scholarship each week. Check out the below, along with the other posts in the series, and you may discover a funding resource that will make covering that college bill a little (or a lot!) easier.
This is a unique scholarship opportunity that the College Board is introducing. There are six simple steps that you have to follow for your chance of winning this scholarship. The College Board is committing to helping students make college possible and they are investing $25 million over 5 years to fund these scholarships. Don’t delay: the class of 2020 will be the first class to win these scholarships.
Scholarship: College Board Opportunity Scholarships
Awarding Organization: College Board
Amount: $40,000 maximum; many smaller scholarships available (see below).
Number of Scholarships Awarded: 125 (They have committed $5 million per graduating class.)
- Graduating seniors – class of 2020 first eligible class
- Half of the scholarships will be awarded to students with family income under $60,000
- Students in the U.S., including Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories
How to Apply:
Students can earn chances to win scholarships by completing various college preparation steps on the College Board website.
- Build your college list: $500
- Practice for the SAT using Khan academy:$1,000
- Improve your SAT score: $2,000
- Strengthen your college list: $500
- Complete the FAFSA: $1,000
- Apply to colleges: $1,000
- Complete your journey: complete all 6 steps to be considered for the $40,000 scholarship
Deadline: Various, check here.
Best of luck, and please see the awarding organization’s website for full scholarship details and requirements.