It is a busy time of year in the world of college applications with early application decisions rolling in and most regular decision deadlines just around the corner. On the latest episode of Getting In: A College Coach Conversation, host Elizabeth Heaton welcomed College Coach expert Zaragoza Guerra to talk about how students and families can approach the final push to application deadlines and to offer tips for having a New Year’s eve free of college applications. They reminded listeners to:
- Request all you need from teachers and counselors before schools close for winter break
- Stay organized: keep track of deadlines, know what needs to be done to complete your application, check your application status with each school to ensure they received all required documents
- Keep the quality of your essay writing strong – you don’t want the quality of your supplemental essays to be different than the quality of your personal essay
Beth next welcomed College Coach finance expert Beth Feinberg Keenan to help answer our listener questions.
College admission questions included:
- How important are sports in the college admission process?
- Is the new SAT a better measure of student college preparedness than the old SAT?
- How do you use strategically use the college visit to advance your understanding of fit?
College finance questions included:
- Are there financial opportunities for middle income families?
- If my income is lower in 2016 than in 2015, can I use the current tax year instead of the previous tax year when applying for financial aid?
- What are next steps after the required financial aid materials have been submitted?
On the next episode of Getting In: A College Coach Conversation, host Sally Ganga will be discussing what to do with early decision and early application results and look at trends in college pricing.