In the final Getting In: A College Coach Conversation episode of 2016, host Sally Ganga spent the majority of the show answering college admissions and finance related questions submitted by listeners. But first, Sally addressed what seniors can—and should!—be doing now that they have submitted their college applications.
What do you do after submitting?
You’ve spent months planning, prepping, tweaking those college applications. Now that they are all submitted, you might be looking around wondering what to do with this lull time. Former Barnard admissions officer, Kara Courtois, joined Sally to help seniors and their parents who are twiddling their thumbs after hitting the “submit” button. First and foremost, Kara reminded listeners that senior grades DO MATTER. Think you might be feeling a case of senioritis coming on? Better tune in to hear what Kara has to say, especially if you are thinking about dropping a course! Many students or parents feel the need to reach out to the admissions office to confirm receipt of documents or simply to touch base as they await their admissions decision. Kara and Sally advise listeners on what is and is not appropriate follow-up for students.
College finance expert, Shannon Vasconcelos, then joined Sally to help answer a slew of listener questions on both admissions- and finance-related topics. Tune in to the full segment to hear the answer to these questions, and more!
- When and whether to request additional letters of recommendations
- Is an A in a regular course or a B in an honors/AP course better?
- Scholarship negotiation—can you go back to a school and ask for more money?
- Should you contact the admissions officer before visiting a college?
- How do you send the FAFSA to more than 10 schools?
- Should you use the essay space to explain an injury that impacted grades?
- Does the major you choose in the application process affect your chances of getting in?
Tune in on January 5th for the landmark 100th episode of Getting In: A College Coach Conversation. And stay tuned in the coming weeks for details on a very special giveaway offered as a thank you to our listeners.