There is a scholarship (or many scholarships) out there for everyone. Every student has some skill, interest, experience, or characteristic that may make them an attractive candidate for one scholarship or another. And while we often refer to scholarships as “free money,” scholarships don’t actually come for free. It takes work to thoughtfully consider your strengths and research the scholarships that might be most appropriate for you. While the effort that goes into finding and winning scholarships may be akin to a part-time job, we at College Coach want to make your job a little easier. This on-going scholarship series highlights a new scholarship each week. Check out the below, along with the other posts in the series, and you may discover a funding resource that will make covering that college bill a little (or a lot!) easier.
This is one scholarship that you do not want to miss out on. So many scholarship awards are for one year only, and then you need to start the process all over again, but this scholarship is awarded for all four years of college! You do not need to be an Elks member or a dependent of an Elks member to apply, and while academics are important, so are leadership and involvement within your community, so give it a shot!
Scholarship: Elks Most Valuable Student
Awarding Organization: Elks National Foundation
Amount: Range from $1,000 to $12,500 per year for four years ($4,000 to $50,000 total)
Number of Scholarships Awarded: 500
- Current high school students
- S. Citizens
- Taken the ACT or SAT before November 4
- Financial need as evidenced by the FAFSA
How to Apply:
- Submit initial application online.
- Applicants advance through local, district, and state levels to reach the national level awards.
- National semi-finalists must submit updated application information, along with an essay and teacher evaluation.
- Top 20 finalists will be chosen to attend a mandatory leadership weekend and interview in Chicago in late April.
Deadline: November 15
Best of luck, and please see the awarding organization’s website for full scholarship details and requirements.