Our entire latest episode of Getting in: A College Coach Conversation was dedicated to answering our listeners’ questions. Host Elizabeth Heaton partnered with College Coach finance expert, Beth Feinberg Keenan, and together they addressed the college admission and college finance questions asked by our audience.
Elizabeth tackled several excellent questions pertaining to the college application process including:
- Is there an advantage to submitting an application in advance of the application deadline?
- Are there taboo essay topics?
- Is a transcript “C” detrimental to an admission application?
- What can a student do in high school to be competitive for Ivy League admission?
- What is the role of geographic diversity in highly selective admission?
- Is Naviance an accurate indicator of acceptance to colleges?
- Some colleges ask what other colleges you are applying to—how is that information used?
- Is it advisable in the college application to disclose a learning difference?
Questions pertaining to financing the college education were thought-provoking:
- Should a financially comfortable family still apply for need-based financial aid?
- Does applying Early Decision or Early Action impact the probability of receiving a merit-based scholarship?
- What is the scoop on need-blind schools that meet 100% of financial need?